picked up from Govinandram & Trimble http://www.vijaygovindarajan.com/2010/08/the_other_side_of_innovation_s.htm
1. Innovation is unnatural - by definition uncertain. Heads of operations always prefer the known over the unknowns (enterprises build for efficiency, predictability and repeatability).
2. Innovator reaction: "Let us break all rules" Skunk works established.
3. Result: Establishment encouraged to starve them out.
4. Recommendation: set up dedicated innovation machines - free to recruit from the outside - but must be integrated with the rest of the company with tightly managed customized rules.
5. Focus - not too many initiatives - a few big problems better
My take: Agree with much - to get the "WHY not" asked you need to keep going for quite a while - and that is not possible by "Focusing on everything".
Powered by Qumana